Google Tag Manager - Advanced Website Tracking
Track Almost Anything
By setting up some simple Macros, Rules and Tags in Google Tag Manager you can track just about anything you want on your site as an Event or Virtual Pageview by simply adding Custom Data Attributes to the on-page HTML elements, rather than adding additional Google Analytics tracking code to your website. This has several benefits:
- You keep all your tracking code in a single location, Google Tag Manager. Rather than have tracking code all over various pages and templates, now all your actual tracking is in one location.
- Deploy tags from within the Google Tag Manager interface without touching site code
- Safer tag deployment to avoid broken iFrames and other tagging challenges
- Your analytics become fuller with more insight. No other method lets you as easily track external links, downloads, or events on your site. Documents which before were untracked, now can be quickly tracked with various specific dimensions for much greater insight.
- Your site tracking becomes less prone to technical errors. Rather than 100 lines of tracking code all over the place, or even on specific links, now your actual tracking code is in one place and less likely to do something horrible like break your entire visitor session.
- You can easily add additional tracking in the future. By following the rules below you can almost immediately and easily track anything on your website that is clicked.
Benefits of Google Tag Manager
- IT-friendly – Google Tag Manager has lots features to set your mind at ease—like user permissions, automated error checking, the Debug Console, and asynchronous technology. So everything runs efficiently, with no unpleasant surprises.
- Quick and easy – Users add or change tags whenever they want, to keep sites running smoothly and quickly. Tags are managed with an easy-to-use web interface, so there's no need to write or rewrite site code following implementation.
- Verified tags & templates – Google Tag Manager makes it easy to verify that new tags are working properly, so users don't need to call on IT to check the tags. Built-in tag templates and automatic error checking also prevent tags with improper formatting from even being deployed on your site.
- Swift loading – Google Tag Manager replaces all your measurement and marketing tags with a single, asynchronously loading tag—so your tags can fire faster without getting in each other's way.
- Multi-platform – Google Tag Manager works for mobile sites, and they're building support for other platforms as well.
If you would like a custom tracking solution please contact me today